Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 162: My Dad in Korea

So it's the second day of my father being in Korea and boy has it been tiring taking him around places in Seoul. Fun, of course, but tiring. 

He arrived on the 17th of 2011, this being his first time outside of the United States of America or Thailand. In essence, he is lost in a foreign world with no real mission other than to explore and look around. I feel and hope that it will be therapeutic for him after the lost of my mother to see the world outside of the confines of the only two spheres of influence he has ever known.

Yesterday, getting to Incheon airport was a breeze because of the train and underground system. I thank Korea everyday that transporting oneself around the country comes with such ease. The ride was around an hour and a half going to the airport and back from it. My father is a many of few pieces of luggage so I didn't really need to help him too much with what he carried to America - items which were mostly for me like dried fruits which I missed dearly.

The first night he got here he was dressed in shorts and a T-shirt with a peace sign the colors of the U.S. flag. He has no fashion sense inside this greatly dressed society of fashionistas and well-dressed men. I hope he doesn't feel too out of place. We ate 된장찌개 and 순두부백반. Both were delicious.

He's also become good friends with the Underwoods here, who I find to be two very humble and heart-warming individuals. I am so glad that they've taken him in for a couple of days while he's here.

I also need to lose some weight. I've been gaining quite a couple of pounds and I want to be able to fit into some nice Korean clothes before I head to Thailand.

That's all for now. I am wondering what I should do tomorrow when I go out sightseeing with my Dad. And I have a lot of sudden work that has popped up! It is maddening. I was also complimented on my accent today - ahaha. It's all the small little compliments that continue to push me to learn Korean.

Things to do: Linguistics worksheet, study for Integrated Korean Intermediate II 결혼 Quiz, create and practice presentation for Asia Extreme and Asian American Cultural Politics, find out what to do in Seoul tomorrow and try not to think of homework as I enjoy walking around with my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment